Thursday, May 18, 2023

Chillerama (2011)

 

 
Chillerama is another horror anthology that is multilayered like a celluloid onion.  A film that has succeeded in making a liar out of me.  See, a little while ago I reviewed another horror portmanteau (I'm using the word too, now), the title slips my mind at the moment, but in the review I made a statement that has now been proven to be incorrect.  In the review I said nobody ever watches one of these films and raves over the wrap around story.  Well, this film proves me wrong because the wrap around story that initially just connects the first three stories but then ends up being the actual fourth story in the set might be the best story in the bunch.  But before we get to that, let's talk about the first short of the film.  That story is called "Wadzilla", equal parts Godzilla and The Blob with a few other nods for seasoning.  This one concerns a giant man eating sperm that eventually grows big enough to dry hump the statue of liberty.  This one has guest stars galore with Eric Roberts playing General Bukkake, Ray Wise of Twin Peaks fame as Dr. Weems, Lin Shaye as a baglady, and there's even Ron Jeremy as Captain Fatso.  This one has a ton of quick one liners and some subtle looks that if you blink you miss it.  Quite a few little Easter eggs are scattered throughout to the point where if you know, you know (IYKYK) so even the most veteran of movie watcher might miss one or two references which increases the films re-watch-ability.        
 
 
 
Next up is I Was a Teenage Werebear which is about a group of young men who turn into leather wearing "Daddies" when they get turned on.  Probably the most controversial of the bunch but I enjoyed it.  I liked the Beach Blanket Bingo type theme being re-imagined as a horror musical.  A couple other things I will say about this is fuck eBay (again IYKYK); and there's a chance I might be a werebear.  Following that is The Diary of Anne Frankenstein and man, I wanted this to be good.  When I first read about this segment I thought for sure this would be my favorite part of the film.  Adam Green wrote and directed and it even has Joel David Moore of Dodgeball and Grandma's Boy fame playing Hitler.  How could it fail?  Somehow it does and instead of the best of the bunch it's the weakest for me.  Which takes us back to the linking story which is titled Zom-B-Movie.  As I said this might be the strongest and my favorite story of the bunch.  But besides that it's also a sentimental favorite because it finally allows a long lasting character actor to step up and be one of the heroes and lead characters in the entire film.  This of course being actor Richard Riehle who when you see him you will probably think to yourself: "Oh, okay, that guy.".    
 

In the tradition of great character actors of the past like Dick Miller and Royal Dano, Riehel has made films in six different decades with his first films coming in the 70's and he's still going today in the 20's.  Here, he gets a starring role.  Throughout the film he is the main character.  He's the driving force behind the wrap around story as well as the final story when it gets going.  He gets his chance here to show comedic acting chops and he nails it.  Good for him, but great for us as we get to reap the benefits of his one liners and oh so many quotable moments from other films from the past that he recycles and uses here and almost makes it feel like it's the first time we are hearing these famous lines.  

 

 

While there are those that don't like some of the themes that run through the film I found most of it enjoyable and wasn't offended or even put off by anything although again, for the second time (at least) this year I find myself mentioning that I usually like my horror films (or any film really) to have just a smidge less semen/sperm/cum in them.  Perhaps smidge is the wrong word.  Dollop?  That might be a better word.  I caught enough of the jokes and all the nods to other films, not all of them being horror either in fact, to really enjoy this.  The "Diary" story and some less than stellar effects costs this one just enough to bring it out of the "great" realm but I will say it is pretty good and well worth a watch.  Three and a half blue pieces of popcorn out of five. 

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...