Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Romancing the Stone (1984)

 


I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Anna Maria" who liked to get amorous at the movies because I recall next to nothing about it.  Now, I have to admit, I'm not much of a Michael Douglas fan, I don't hate him, I just don't seek out his work.   Same for Kathleen Turner to be honest. I liked her as Chandler Bing's father and I remember seeing her in V. I. Warshawski which was produced by Jeffrey Laurie who also owns my beloved Philadelphia Eagles.

 

  Don't remember much about that film either. Saw that one with my erstwhile partner in crime Cerpts, he's on Blogger as well, you can find him here: http://landofcerptsandhoney.blogspot.com/ look him up, he watches way more films than I do. And like "Anna Marie", he puts out at the movies as well.

 


Maybe that's why I don't remember anything about that film either.  Now that I examine those facts, it seems I should have seen more Kathleen Turner films in the theater.

 

 But I digest.

 

 Back to Romancing the Stone; it's OK. Nothing special. I think, since at the time, Turner was being compared to Lauren Bacall, maybe they were trying to form a Bogey and Bacall feel to it but there's no way you can compare them. It's no contest! Also, most times I find Michael Douglas can get a little annoying, here he never got there for me. When "he isn't annoying" is the best thing you can say about someone perhaps there is an issue there.



 
Danny DeVito helps to save the movie a bit but when it all comes down to it Romancing the Stone feels like the plain rice cake of movies. So with all that said, the best I can do for Romancing the Stone is give it two and a half treasure maps out of five. Thankfully Robert Zemeckis would move on from this (after he was fired from directing Cocoon) to direct Back to the Future.

 


 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...