Friday, May 19, 2017

A Message To Rickster Rick: "What Have You Gotten Me Into?"

Well, here we are, the day has finally arrived.  The 24 Hours of Horror Challenge is here.  24 hours, 13 horror movies, 0 percent chance of making it without falling to sleep but we're gonna try.




First offering is Lesbian Vampire Killers, our vampire themed movie.  Here we have a horror comedy from 2009 starring James Corden and Paul McGann better known as the 8th doctor of the Doctor Who franchise.  Exactly one minute into the movie and we got our first naked boobies!  YES!! My inner 13 year old boy is happy.  I gotta say this movie surprised me as I am not much of a James Corden fan although he was good in his short guest starring stint on Doctor Who.  I also like carpool karaoke on his late night show, so there's that.  With all that being said however, he is the best part of this movie.  Well, take out the lesbian vampire stuff that is.  Think Shaun Of The Dead meets Bram Stoker's Dracula and this is sort of what Lesbian Vampire Killers is. "Hahahahahahahaha! It's got a big metal cock for a handle!" - Fletch (James Corden) 4 out of 5 stars. 
       



In the "Slasher" film category we chose The Burning from 1981.  This movie has all the earmarks of something that should be great.  It's the first film the Weinstein Brothers company Mirimax ever made.  This is also the first film for Jason Alexander (Seinfeld), Holly Hunter (The Piano and Broadcast News), and Fisher Stevens (Hackers).  Add in Tom Savini doing the make-up effects and it could be an excellent movie.  It's not but it is very enjoyable.  Made at the height of the low budget slasher craze at the beginning of the '80's, it never garnered a large fan base.  In recent years it has received a cult following and the reviews today are much more positive than they were when it was first released.  3 out of 5 stars.       



When I saw that one of the categories called for a werewolf movie I was chomping at the bit as this is my hands down favorite horror genre.  We chose a movie I have never seen before; neither had Rickster Rick or Denise for that matter.  So while we were all flying blind, so to speak, I looked forward to seeing this one.  Wer, while being listed as an American film was first released in Japan in 2013 and not until nearly a year later in the states where it was released straight to video.  While it had some great make up effects and some of the best jump out of your seat moments this one still sort of fell short for me.  I'm not even 100% sure how it ended and I was paying attention.  2.5 stars out of 5.   




The fourth film we watched as day turned into night was Possession which we chose for the Demonic Possession/Exorcism category.  Before Sam Neil was taking on dinosaurs in Jurassic Park he was dealing with a failed marriage while also trying to do his job as a spy in this 1981 film.  After coming home from a mission he discovers his wife  is acting weird.  She has been disappearing while leaving their young son to fend for himself and carrying on an affair with another man.  She's got other secrets too making this one of the most dysfunctional marriages I have ever seen.  Violence, gore, weirdness, and two words: subway scene.  A head scratcher for sure.  2.5 stars out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...