Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Destroy All Monsters 1968


Destroy All Monsters is a Japanese Kaiju SciFi horror film from 1968.  Kaiju is a Japanese film genre featuring large monsters and if that makes you think about Godzilla you are in the right ballpark.  This particular film takes place in the future, well 1999, which back in '68 was the future.  In 1999 we find that all those great Japanese monsters are all on one island called Monsterland.  There's Godzilla, of course, along with Rodan, Minilla (better known as Son of Godzilla), and Mothra.  There are some other lesser known monsters as well that you might recognize by sight but telling you their names here would do little good.  They are held on the island by an invisible wall that is supposed to be impenetrable.  Which as it turns out, not so much.  An alien race known as the Kilaaks have taken control of the monsters and have instructed them to attack the worlds largest capitals.  After some destruction the United Nations Science Committee is able to regain control of the monsters forcing the Kilaaks to pull out their secret weapon: King Ghidorah.




 I cannot tell you how many times I saw this film either on Creature Double Feature or on Dr. Shock's Mad Theater.  That was the two horror shows that came on UHF channels every Saturday afternoon in the 70's and 80's here in my neck of the woods.  I always loved Godzilla movies, heck I loved all the Kaiju movies.  Still do, don't get me started on Ultraman, we just don't have that much time for me to go off on a tangent about that TV series. In fact some of the actors that appeared in the different Ultra series have parts in this film which adds to my nerdgasm.  This specific movie was one of my favorites in the genre as it featured ALL of the Kaiju monsters and not only that they eventually work together to fight a common enemy.  Even watching it this time made the ten year old in me that at times seems long gone to wake up a bit and shake off some of the years time has put on me.  I still giggle at how cheesy some of the sets look and I try to count the times I can see the little black wires attached to Rodan's wings.  In some ways these movies are like time machines for me.  In '68 they were supposed to take our minds into the future and make us wonder "What if?".  Today it takes me back to 1968 and and begs the question "Remember when?"



For the most part you can always find slow or boring parts in Kaiju films.  Those parts usually occur whenever there is a human on the screen but sometimes these scenes are a necessary evil to advance the plot.  But when the destruction begins and then the huge Battle Royal at the end is a site to behold.  This film boasts the most Kaiju in one film ever and boy is it fun to see them all in one movie.  If this genre is you thing and you have not seen this I cannot recommend it enough.  I suggest you fix this over site as soon as possible.  You will not be disappointed.  I give this 4 Rubber Suits out of 5. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...