Monday, October 30, 2017

Cell 2016



 It's no surprise that I'm a Stephen King fan and as far as I know I have read everything he has ever written (some new things I may not have gotten around to just yet) and I've seen every movie based on his works.  With that being said when I had the chance to pick up Cell for five bucks I couldn't pass up the opportunity no matter how many negative things I have heard about it.  I had high hopes for this one as Stephen King himself had a hand in writing the screenplay which is where I always thought King movies lacked when someone else wrote the screenplay something was missing and I felt a disconnect between the end result and the source material.  Considering most of his stories I love.  So how did this one do?  It's a little bit of an in-betweener, and yes, I'm hedging.


 John Cusack stars along with Samuel L. Jackson, Isabelle Furman, and Stacy Keach as survivors left to figure out what to do next after a pulse is sent through cell phones across the world at the same time.  All the people that were on their cells at that moment are turned into violent zombie like creatures that either try to kill the survivors or turn them into zombies as well.  Adam Alleca (Last House on the Left) assisted with the screenplay writing with Tod Williams (The Door in the Floor, Paranormal Activity 2) taking care of the directing.  I liked the book so much that this is taken from I might already have a built in sentimentality for this one but I'll do my best to stay impartial.



I also have to add I'm not a huge Cusack fan although he has done a few films I have liked in the past I just don't go out of my way to see his films unless I have a reason.  Samuel L. Jackson is always good and even though he seems bored for most of this movie he is still one of my favorites.  Stacy Keach is OK here as he plays a typical role for him lately where you don't know if he is going to help the heroes of the story or not.  While the story sticks to the book fairly well except for the ending I still feel like something is missing here.  I can't put my finger on it but it's another one of those films where the end product is less than the sum of it's parts.  On paper it should be a really good movie.  It's merely OK and if you haven't read the book you have even less invested in the story.  If you are a King fan and have read Cell, I would recommend it but otherwise it's a 50-50 proposition on weather this one will be worth your time.  The Horror Honey and I who have both read Cell gave this one 3 Harvard Sweatshirts out of 5.  Once again we had my Aunt Grizelda on hand for this one and while she is a Stephen King fan like myself and she has read Cell as well and she only gave this one 2 and a half.     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...