Saturday, October 14, 2017

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

I have managed to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show quite a few times in my lifetime.  Certainly too many times to remember.  The very first time I saw the film, probably just about ALL the times I have seen it except for the most recent back in August at the Monster Mania Convention, Rickster Rick, my Horror Homie has been right by my side.  So with that in mind today we have a tribute to the best audience participation film of all time.  Wait, how many are there?

 “A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, God said, ‘Let there be lips!’ And there were! And they were good.”



Over At The Frankenstein Place is probably my favorite song from the movie.  Craig Ferguson did it as a cold opening on Halloween one year and it was instant gold!



  The first time Rickster Rick and I went to experience it for the first time (yes it is quite an experience) we did not know what to expect.  We went in and of course we sat in the back row.  A few minutes after that I realized I wouldn't be able to see the movie very well because I left my glasses in the car.  At the time I only needed glasses to drive and for VERY distant viewing which included seeing movies.  We decided to move closer to the front so we now were approximately in the middle of the theater. 




With about five minutes to go before the start of the show two young ladies entered the theater and sat in the back row.  They were almost in the very seats we had occupied a few minutes prior.  The "actors" (RHPS faithful will know what I mean) noticed them and for a minute or two they verbally assaulted the "virgins" (again, you either KNOW what I mean or you don't) until the beginning credits began.  With a big sigh of relief we watched the opening moments of what I could call a life changing experience.



  If you've never seen it I seriously suggest you try to find out where it still plays.  There's a troop that performs it once or twice a month in Philadelphia, the same troop I saw at the Monster Mania Convention.  Of course you could always come over to my house and see a private viewing and get your cherry popped good and proper.  If You Dare! 



   

2 comments:

  1. I always thought this movie was subversively weird and kept putting it off. Last year we recorded it and watched it, mostly because my daughter had loved it and thought we would, too. It was nothing like I thought, just a fun, wacky musical. Quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as Denise put it after seeing it for the first time: if you haven't seen it in a theater with an acting troop doing the, ah, *ahem* floor show then you haven't seen it you only think you have. She wasn't sure she would like it in a theater after just thinking it was OK at home but she was seriously impressed with the dedication that comes with seeing it "live" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...