Tuesday, October 25, 2022

10/31 Part 2 (2019)

 

 
The good thing about anthology films, as 10/31 Part 2 is (part one is as well for that matter) if it's a sequel you really don't have to see the first one to know what is going on in the second one.  Usually an anthology doesn't have a sequel to be honest with Creepshow being one of the rare exception.  I have not seen part one of this series but from what I understand part two is the better film of the pair as I said I didn't need to see the first one.  The film features five directors with Drew Maverick (Pool Party Massacre) being the only one I've heard of before but I've seen Pool Party Massacre and it wasn't very memorable.      

 
Another one of the directors is Jennifer Nangle who also stars as your host for the film; Queen of Screams Malvolia.  Nangle is a veteran of horror spoofs like Amityville Karen, Paranormal Attraction, and Irrational Fear) but other than her the rest of the actors in the film I've never heard of before and haven't seen much that they have done.  What the film gives us right away is something I've never seen in a horror film before (anthology or otherwise) and that is a bunch of parody horror coming attractions for, I'm assuming, movies that don't really exist.  Or maybe they do by now; at least one or two of them.  That's a nice touch and was enough to grab my attention right away.  The main part of the movie consists of five shorts that all features one type of demented killer or another but the stories are a little uneven.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also have one fairly huge issue with the film.  This is one of those things that most people wouldn't catch but for me it's kind of a big deal and that is how they pronounce the word Samhain.  It's not pronounced Sam Hain as if it was some guys name.  It's Sauween or Sowain.  That cost them a little in my eyes.  The special effects while being a bit gory at times were still pulled off fairly well.  The good news is this might be a low budget film but it doesn't look like it's low budget.  The unfortunate part is some of the acting is very wooden and not very convincing.  Couple of the stories are good, a couple are just OK, and one of them is pretty terrible.  All in all, this one is a bit of fun as well as interesting.  I'll toss three eggs out of five at this ones front door.        





3 comments:

  1. Wasn't a huge fan of the first one, so glad to hear this one is somewhat better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's the thing I haven't seen the first one just some reviews I have read report that this is better (some say about the same but didn't see any that said worse than the first) so that's what I'm going on. With that being said I would still watch the first one I love horror anthologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since I sawed both of these movies I really don't recall which I liked better. However, I AM waiting for my pre-order of 10/31 Part III to arrive . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...