Sunday, October 16, 2022

C.O.R.N. (2021)

 
 C.O.R.N. (subtitled Field of Screams, see what they did there) is a 2021 slasher style film mixed with a little sci-fi body horror.  The film features a few unknown actors who have limited to no film credits.  The director, Robin Christian, also has little known about him but he has directed several films to his credit.  Hey, the fact I know he's a "he" (if that is the pronoun he uses) is progress because I originally thought he was a female.  For the record I have personally known one man and one woman named Robin my entire life.  Now where was I?  The film does have a couple actors worth mentioning including Roger Cross who plays Don.  You may not know him from seeing him but he has lent his voice to a few DC animated films as both Green Lantern John Stewart and Swamp Thing. 
 
 
 
 
 I also wanted to mention Robert Donovan who plays Mr. Doctor.  I've never heard of him before and to his credit he has the largest resume of everyone in the film and he was a pleasant surprise.  One of the most sophisticated but psychotic cult leader I've ever seen.  The film itself is nothing new: a couple college student aged teens are stranded in the middle of nowhere when their car gets a flat tire.  They meet a local who takes them back to his house and invites them to a Halloween party being held at a neighbors house.  The "town" seems to just be one farm after another where they grow lots of corn.  That's not really where the film gets it's name though.  That comes from the cult like group who is throwing the Halloween party that's not really a Halloween party at all.

 
 
 
 
 
 What we have is a meeting of the Collective Order of Recreational Necrophilanthropists.  Yep, I said it.  What they are is a group that kills people and then stuffs them like a taxidermist.  They look at it as they are creating a piece of art.  They stuff the bodies with straw as that is the most absorbent material they can use which helps dry up the bodily fluids the quickest.  They then turn the people into scarecrows that are then put into the corn fields.  There's a few twists I didn't see coming and a full cadre of weirdos once the party begins.  There is a decent movie in here somewhere but it takes too long to get there and when it does at times it just flounders.  Some scenes take way too long and I really needed more Mr. Doctor and some more Otis would have been nice as well.  I still give this a strong (if that's possible) two and a half hayrides out of five. 



1 comment:

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...