Monday, October 31, 2022

Lost Creek (2016)

 

Going to try and keep the posts coming in between Trick or Treaters right up until the stroke of midnight.  Up next is Lost Creek from 2016.  What I didn't know before I watched this: this is a low budget indy film that is loaded with unknowns and is a kids film.  For kids featuring a bunch of kids.  Unfortunately none of them know how to act a lick.  I expect that from most child actors but I mean even the adults stink out loud.  What it does have is a decent enough story that should hold a ten year old's attention while not frightening them too much.  This is perfect for that kid who is tired of the animated Halloween films and wants to dip their feet into the live action "scary movie" world. 

 

The film centers around a boy, Peter, who has just moved into town with his mother.  Shortly after moving in he meets a little girl named Maggie.  The two meet down near a small stream or a creek, if you will.  During the course of the movie Maggie tells Peter that on the other side of the creek, where she never goes, is a monster.  Peter thinks that maybe the monster is coming to take all the adults because his neighbors are seeming to disappear into thin air.  Along with his other friend Bill (don't call him William) who he knew before he moved into town the three decide to spend Halloween trying to solve the mystery behind the missing adults. 
 
Along the way they encounter monsters, ghosts, demons, to be honest I'm not sure exactly what the threat is but it registers on the creepy level thanks to some very good music from composer Evan Chapman.  The movie sounds very eerie.  It also looks very Halloweenie-like.  There's also a couple really neat looking Halloween costumes.  Like I said the acting is terrible except for Maggie, she's passable but barely.  The story is OK even if it is slow in starting but it picks up about a third of the way in.  It has a nice ending and it has a feel good Stand By Me sort of feeling to it.  So if you want a good film for kids or if you want a Halloween film that's not that scary and no gore, you could do worse.  Three pumpkin cupcakes out of five.     
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, another unknown to me. Will add it. My watchlist will never be empty. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween Joe. And I discover new films I didn't even know existed all the time. It's scary how many there are and with the new digital age I'll never get caught up.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...