Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Voodoo Black Exorcist (1974)

I'm not sure I know where to start with this one.  I'll begin by saying it is directed by Manuel Cano who has directed a few other Spanish language low, and I mean very low budget horror films.  Second thing I will say is this movie contains zero voodoo and zero exorcists.  So what the hell?  Movie all lying to me like that before I even hit the play button on the beta-max.  Oh, wait hold up, I watched this on DVD.  Wow!  Terrible copy of it too I must say; thanks Mill Creek.  I did notice that there is a remastered version that came out sometime around 2014 but it's not going to help this huge steaming pile.     

 


The film stars Aldo Sambrell who is mostly known for starring in spaghetti westerns.  Namely the Clint Eastwood "Man With No Name" trilogy of films.  Here he is as Gatanebo a very powerful Caribbean priest OK, maybe that's where the voodoo part comes in.  Also starring as Inspector Dominquez is another veteran of spaghetti westerns Fernando Sancho.  He was also in Lawrence of Arabia.  Eva Leon from Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll and 1977's Inquisition, portrays Sylvia and Kenya both of which are Gatanebo's love interest.  One willingly one not so much.       



 

This one is basically the Spanish version of Boris Karloff's The Mummy.  Just a really bad version.  Gatanebo and Kenya are lovers who are killed for having an affair by Kenya's jealous husband.  At least I think that's what happened.  Anyway, his sarcophagus is discovered by archeologists.  He is quickly loaded onto an ocean liner for safe transport back to a museum he will soon be calling home.  On board the horror version of The Love Boat is also Sylvia who looks just like Kenya.  Just not as dark for you see Gatanebo and Kenya's story is shown as a series of flashbacks through so many red filters and Eva Leon is in black face for these scenes.  Not just black face but all of her is blackened for these scenes.  Played OK then wouldn't be so good today.  The special effects are pretty bad too.  If for some reason you find yourself watching this one count how many bloody Styrofoam heads are passed off as Gatanbo's decapitated victims.  Really bad.  The biggest horror watching this is that I actually fell asleep two thirds of the way through this the first time.  This unfortunately means that The Horror Honey had to sit through the last thirty minutes or so of this mess twice.  One wrinkly old mummy out of five for this stinker.     

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that Popeye the Voodoo Exorcist Man doesn't seem strong to the people of the Caribbean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You speak truth oh great writer of bloggery however Popeye is enjoying nearly Godlike status on Prickly Pear Island.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...