Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Monster High: The Movie (2022)

 

I'm not really sure what exactly the Monster High series of dolls, cartoons, and whatever else is in that particular universe that is created by the minds at Mattel.  When I saw the listing for a film titled Monster High: The Movie my curiosity was piqued.  Then I saw it was on Nickelodeon channel and was a little less enthused but I still set the DVR and recorded it.  Then I read some of the reviews and I really questioned if I even wanted to spend the 90 minutes of my life to watch this one.  In the end I decided to go ahead and give it a lookie-loo.  And man am I glad that I did!  Wait, what?  I know, I'm opening myself up to some criticizing here but I have to tell you this family musical is so much better than it sounds.  It's a musical "better than it sounds"; get it?   


The basis of the story is that Clawdeen Wolf (a werewolf) wants to go to Monster High (where all the monster kids go to school, duh) and be with other teens who won't make fun of her like the human kids do in the mundane world.  When she gets there she quickly makes friends with Draculaura (Dracula's daughter), Frankie Stein who is fifteen days old, and Cleo De Nile (a mummy is her Mamma) and these are just the main four girls.  There are dozens more including faculty, staff, parents, and other students.  The catch is that the school is anti-human and Clawdeen is half human as her father is not a monster.  While her mother was a legendary monster and student if it got out she was half human she would be expelled immediately.  The only actor in the film I've ever seen or heard of before is Steve Valentine (The Walk and Wizards of Waverly Place) who plays Dracula.  Todd Holland directs here who is more well known for his work in TV comedies as he has directed over 50 episodes of The Larry Sanders Show and some Malcolm in the Middle episodes as well.  



 
 
 Let me tell you, everything about this movie is fun and charming and I enjoyed every second of it.  Except for the parts when they sing.  Which happens a lot in musicals.  This ain't Bernie and Elton writing songs here folks.  The first song is not bad, it's early enough in the film where I'm more taking in the props and scenery for it to matter if a song is good or not to be honest.  The second song is actually a good song and if I remember I'm downloading it after I finish writing this.  So after the second song it goes downhill pretty quick.  The story, let's also be truthful about it, is extremely predictable (this is literally a kids show) and I saw the ending coming about half way in. But the makeup, costumes, props, and scenery is extremely impressive.  Especially loved the large Loch Ness Monster type floating through a sea of fog draped around the school and the surrounding lands.  I know it seems like I'm going on about this film but it really surprised me.  A more mature story-line (which isn't a fault but it does detract a little) and better or less songs would have put this in the four Hi-Fives out of five range but as it is it gets a strong three of them.  For people with kids I cannot recommend this enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...