Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Disturbia (2007)

 


I’ve had the chance to see Disturbia in the past, but I gave it a pass due to the fact that I don’t particularly care for Shia LaBeouf.  He’s OK in the Transformer movies, I guess.  Plus, for the very fact that I’ve seen him in more than just those movies and remember nothing much about him proves that he doesn’t really strike me as vital in any movie he is in. That even goes if he is THE star of the film.  But hey, it’s the Countdown to Halloween so why not, right?  Anyway, let’s get into Disturbia.  Shia plays Kale Brecht, a high school student who recently lost his father in a tragic automobile accident.  One day his teacher taunts him by mentioning his dead father would be ashamed of him if he was still alive.  That’s worthy of a beat down and Boofy does just that.  Well, he punches the guy at least.  

 

 

 
 

He ends up in juvenile court and is given house arrest.  Apparently, he’s been a dick in the past and has a record.  Meanwhile, a new family moves in next door.  Boofy spends most of his days in his room watching the neighborhood through his binoculars.  He spies the new girl who moved in next door, Ashley (Sarah Roemer), and the two become friends.  Now, along with Boofy’s friend Ronnie (Aaron Yoo), they begin a sort of voyeuristic neighborhood watch.  What begins as a bit pervy ends up being dangerous.  The angsty Scooby Gang suspect that one of the neighbors, Robert Turner (David Morse), is a serial killer.  Carrie Anne Moss also stars as Boofy’s mother Julie.  

 


 

Disturbia is basically a teen version of Rear Window.  The screenplay is written by Christopher Landon and Carl Ellsworth.  Between the two of them they have written Happy Death Day 1 and 2 as well as Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (Landon) and Red Eye and Unhinged (Ellsworth).  D.J. Caruso directs and has also directed I Am Number Four and XXX: The Return of Xander Cage.  Now I love Rear Window, to me it’s one of the best movies ever made.  This isn’t that.  But it is a taut retelling of the story that Rear Window is also based on.  Look it up if you want more info.  While I don’t highly recommend Disturbia, I will say if you’re looking for a way to waste 90-some-odd minutes, give it a shot, you could do worse.  Three ankle monitors out of four.

 

 


 

 

5 comments:

  1. Really?!?!?!? It's based on the Cornell Woolrich story. I did not know that. I also did not see the film. Not sure you've convinced me to change that position either. Not sure you tried that hard either. Not sure I have a point here. But I AM SURE that Shia Leouf is not famous anymore. I saw that somewherez. And I also am SUPER DAMN SURE that Boofy is what I'm calling him from now on (should the occasion ever arise when I refer to him at all). Now don't tell me 'BOOFY" isn't you're very own creation because I refuse to believe anyone else called him Boofy before you did and I'm giving you the sole copywrite on Boofy!!!! All naysayers, talk to the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is sort of based on the story that rear window was based on not necessarily a Rear Window copycat. Spielberg (who produced) also claims there is some Straw Dogs and The Conversation thrown in there as well. There was a lawsuit but the judge decided there wasn't enough similarities to award the Woolrich estate anything. And to be honest I always thought of his name and came up with Boofy long before this post so if you haven't ever heard it before, cause I never have, then I will rake credit for it. Something tells me I'm not the first one to call him that but I have no proof of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vague memory of this. I checked Letterboxd, and nothing, but maybe I watched in the before time of logging every single film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have quite a few films that fall into that category as well. BL Before Letterboxd

    ReplyDelete

Nelly Rapp: Monster Agent (2020)

  The other day I had commented that I had not reviewed an anthology film, and I quickly corrected that over site.   Today I noticed that ...