Thursday, October 3, 2024

The Triangle (2001)

 



The first thing to be said about this is it screams TV movie.  Nothing wrong with that just know what you’re in for ahead of time and if you’re OK with it, go on in.  Starring is Luke Perry who was once famous for 90210 (proudly, I have still never seen an episode of the show) and for being the father of one of the biggest dicks in all of professional wrestling (Tony Khan paid me to say that) is Stu, Dan Cortese who I think I remember from being famous on MTV for about a week in the 90’s sometime is Tommy, Dorian Harewood (Roots The Next Generation and Full Metal Jacket) who is one of the most underrated and best African American actor of the past fifty years plays Captain Morgan the owner of a boat Stu and Tommy hire to take them on a fishing trip.

 

 


 

 Not just any fishing trip, no-no, that would be too easy and then there wouldn’t be a movie.  They go fishing in the Bermuda Triangle.  Even when they have their friend Gus who has studied up on what happens in the Bermuda Triangle who warns them about going.  Soon creepy stuff starts happening like a mysterious ghost boy trying to drown Stu’s fiancé Julia (Polly Shannon).  Things really turn bad when a ship, the RMS Queen of Scots, appears in a fog bank that comes out of nowhere.  When Morgan’s boat breaks down, they all decide to board the mysterious ship to look for parts to fix it.  Tommy and Morgan’s first mate Charlie (Olivia d’Abo) begin having the same nightmare.

  

 

 

For a TV movie of the week that received great ratings when aired this proved to be just slightly above average.  Of course this means it is slow, sometimes boring, with mostly cheap special effects.  Lewis Teague (Cujo, Cat’s Eye, and Alligator) does the directing here and maybe he should have stuck with thrillers featuring animals since that’s where he seems strongest.  The Triangle is good for what it was used for but what it was used for isn’t that great.  Still if you want to watch a “horror” movie with your squeamish ten-year-old this might be perfect for that.  I’ll score this three voodoo rituals (there was some of that early in the movie that I thought might mean something later in the film but alas, never comes to fruition) out of five.  Just know it’s an early 2000’s TV movie made for TBS before hitting “Play” on your remote.

 

 


 

 

 

 


 

6 comments:

  1. Wow you really went for a deep dive here!!!! I've never even heard of this one. Of course, you're warning that it's an early 2000s Made-for-TV movie is extremely valuable because I can think of any that were better than "meh". The heyday of the horror made-for-tv movie in the 70's-early 80's, however, they could do no wrong. But hold up . . . you mean to tell me that Teague DIDN'T put a rampaging alligator in this movie?!?!?!?! Well, thank Herne the Hunter you're here to take one for the team and watch this movie for us since I probably ain't about to! That's why I luvz ya, you big cuddle monster!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah as I told Joe, I got this in one of those 10 DVD packs that I bought for one movie. I decided to give it a shot and watch nearly all of them for The Countdown. There will be lots of obscure films to come.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this, either, but can't say I am not intrigued by all of the cheesyness here. Makes me want to take that sailing trip, too! Gonna check and see if this is streaming where I can watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I got it in one of those 10 film DVD packs that I bought for one film.

      Delete
    2. I have some of those I was gifted. Wonder if it is on one of them! LOL

      Delete
  3. There's always a chance it is. I have some films that appear on a couple of the collections I have.

    ReplyDelete

Nelly Rapp: Monster Agent (2020)

  The other day I had commented that I had not reviewed an anthology film, and I quickly corrected that over site.   Today I noticed that ...