Wednesday, October 9, 2024

The Sacrament (2013)


 

 

The Sacrament has a few things working against it before it even starts; with me at least that is.  First, of all the films I’ve seen directed by Ti West, I’ve only really liked one film, that being The House of the Devil from 2009.  The rest of his films (and short films) have basically hovered around the “Eh” level.  So apparently I’m not a big Ti West fan, yet.  The other thing this has going against it is it is a found footage film, and if you are familiar with my blog or Letterboxd page, you know how I feel about those.  But here’s the thing, I never won't watch a film just because it's a found footage film.  I’m always willing to give a film a chance regardless of the actors, directors, or genres and how I have felt about any them in the past.  So with that in mind let’s talk about The Sacrament. 

 

 

 

Eden Parish is a commune of people who have had enough with the rest of the world and live together in their own utopia out in the middle of nowhere.  Kentucker Audley (She Dies Tomorrow and Strawberry Mansion) is Patrick Carter, a fashion designer.  One day Frank gets a letter from his sister, a recovering addict, who lives at Eden Parish.  Amy Seimetz (You’re Next and Pet Sematary) is Caroline; Frank’s sister.  Frank tells his friend and co-worker Sam, who is played by AJ Bowen (You’re Next and The House of the Devil), about it and he says he would like to go with Frank to film it.  They decide to bring along Jake, who is a cameraman, as well so they can document the trip.  Jake is plated by Joe Swanberg who has also been in You’re Next as well as Nights and Weekends.

 


The only way to get to Eden Parish is by helicopter (great!) and after landing, the helicopter pilot tells them they have 24 hours and he will be back to pick them up but not to be late because he will not wait for them.  What the hell does he know that we don’t know?  Once they are there, the community’s security guards are not happy to see three people instead of one.  They were only expecting only Patrick.  They contact the leader of the group, Father (hey, look another red flag!) who allows them all to enter.  The people living at the commune seems happy and healthy.  Sam inquires if he can interview Father.  Father who is played by Gene Jones (The Old Man and the Gun and The Standoff at Sparrow Creek) says an interview would be fine.  That night Sam, in front of the entire community, interviews Father, who just seems like an old Southerner.  At first he answers Sam’s questions happily without hesitation but soon Father becomes intimidating.  Eventually Father ends the interview and the members of the community celebrate with a big party. 

 


 

During the party, one of the children at the commune who is a deaf mute, hands Sam a note that reads: “Please help us”.  And we’re off and running folks!  Now as far as found footage films go this feels more like a behind the scenes footage of a documentary.  If you do want to say this is a found footage film, it’s not as bad as most of the films I have seen in the genre.  All of the actors do very good jobs with their roles.  The camerawork isn’t as annoying as most films in the genre either.  The Sacrament was inspired by the Jonestown Massacre, which was in Guyana, South America back in 1978 lending a feeling of truth to the film.  Very tense almost from the moment the helicopter touches down at Eden Parish all the way to the end of the film.  All in all, The Sacrament (I don’t like that title, there’s something I don’t like about the film) does not disappoint.  I think Ti West has a second film on his resume I can say I like.  I’ll go three friendly goats out of five for this found footage film that is more a study of the sad and disturbing parts that make up America more than anything else.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, haven't seen this one but U can rank his best fillums: #1 PEARL, #2 HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, #3 IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE, #4 THE INNKEEPERS, #5 X, #6 THE ROOST. Yep, that's all I've seen. I think I own THE SACRAMENT, though; some'erz in my mad stacks. But I have to agree, the title is a little lackluster and never made me anxious to watch it so far. However, now that YOU'VE watched it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah forgot to mention . . . after the really pretty good IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE (think JOHN WICK as a western), we get to the merely OK INNKEEPERS and the kinda meh ROOST.
      Also, coincidinkilly, today I just received my pre-order copy of MAXXXINE in the post. Wonder if I'll be able to get to it in October???

      Delete
  2. Of the movies I've seen by West my order is #1 The House of the Devil, #2 The Sacrament #3 The Innkeepers, #4 Cabin Fever 2 #5 The Roost and then the hot steaming pile of garbage that is Trigger Man. He also has shorts in several anthologies that I've seen as well. The story he did for V/H/S is OK the short he did for The ABC's of Death is just a little bit better than that. I have X to watch but I doubt I'll get that in before the end of October. All together his body of work is average at best for me.

    ReplyDelete

Nelly Rapp: Monster Agent (2020)

  The other day I had commented that I had not reviewed an anthology film, and I quickly corrected that over site.   Today I noticed that ...