Monday, October 4, 2021

Candyman 1992

 

 

I know I had seen the original Candyman before but other than a guy with a hook and saying his name four or five times I couldn't remember anything about it.  So re-watching this for the October Halloween Blog A Thon became a necessity especially with the reboot coming out in late August.  Tony Todd as Candyman is basically an Urban Legend and Virginia Madsen is doing a college thesis on a murder supposedly committed by him.

 

 

I've met Tony Todd at a Monster Mania convention and he is believable as the main character because I think Tony Todd might be a little bit creepy in general.  Virginia Madsen hasn't exactly made her mark in the horror genre but she is very versatile so she certainly doesn't subtract from the film.  Xander Berkeley stars as Madsen's husband and while he doesn't do a bad job here this film is carried by the main two already mentioned. 

   

 

This film is hard to pin down as it has a dream like feel to it where half of what you are seeing you're not sure if it is happening or not.  As it is it was fairly entertaining and I'm sure it was even more entertaining when it first came out.  It doesn't seem as if it has lost much in the twenty years since it was released.  I'm fairly certain this will not be the only Candyman franchise film I will be reviewing this month.  But for now I'll look into the mirror and give this three and a half bloody hooks out of five.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...