Friday, October 1, 2021

Turbulence 1997


 
Our first film of the month is an airplane hijack thriller starring Ray Liotta and Lauren Holly along with Brendan Gleeson and Hector Elizondo in supporting roles.  Liotta plays Ryan Weaver, the convicted Lonely Hearts Killer, who is being sent back to L.A. for his date with the executioner.  Holly, Teri Halloran, is one of the flight attendants on board the ill fated flight and the heroine of the film.    
 

The flight takes off from the east coat on Christmas Eve morning.  (I know what you are already screaming at your computer screen: "How can a Christmas movie be the first film in the Halloween Blog A Thon?"  I know it seems really off but here it is.)  As the plane makes it's way to the west coast it is headed right into a level 6 storm.  Whatever that is but it's safe to say it's a biggun!  After being told as much, Halloran asks the air traffic controller she is talking to on the radio if a level 6 storm big.  "Is that on a 1-10 scale?", she asks.  "No, 1 to 6." comes the reply.  The storm is actually the least of her worries.  Ryan soon becomes loose on board and the pilot and co pilot are both dead.    

Herrrrrre's Johnny!


Ray Liotta doesn't just chew the scenery here, he devours it!  If crazy Ray is your favorite Ray (and it is mine, right after mobster Ray, that is) this one is for you.  It's up to Teri to land the plane, keep the rest of the passengers and crew safe, and deal with a deranged serial killer.  That doesn't even count the F-14 that is hot on her trail and it's only mission is to shoot her out of the sky.  Deck those halls, mother effer!!


I give it three and a half sets of stuck landing gear out of five for a not too shabby beginning of the month. 


 

4 comments:

  1. A Christmas movie on the first day of the Countdown to Halloween??!?!?!!!! Well that's just PLANE ridiculous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know, as luck would have it this was the first thing I pulled from the pile of Blog fodder so I went with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLANE ridiculous! PLANE! That's a joke, son. Joke, that is! I keep throwin' 'em and you jest side-step 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, I got what you were throwing down. I smelled what you were cooking as The Rock would say but I ain't tasted it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...