Thursday, October 28, 2021

Ginger Snaps 2000


 

Today we have a film directed and co-written by John Fawcett who I first discovered in 2013 when he created the BBC America sci fi thriller Orphan Black.  The film stars Emily Perkins and Katharine Isabelle as sisters Bridgitte and Ginger Fitzgerald.  Ginger, who is 16 gets her first period and is attacked by what the town calls the Beast of Bailey Downs.  Turns out it's a werewolf.

 

 

Ginger's younger sister "B" who is 15 but in the same grade because she skipped a grade, tries to find a cure for her sister. "B" also fears she will be getting the same "curse" within the next year and refuses to become like her sister.  Kris Lemche and Jesse Moss play the girls sort of boyfriends Sam and Jason.  Mimi Rogers plays the girls mother.  Danielle Hampton plays the popular girl Trina, who bullies the sisters, rounds out the cast.

 

 

This horror/werewolf version of a girls coming of age story soon turns into a tale of sibling rivalry.  Or is that a "tail" of sibling rivalry?  I heard a lot of good things about this for years and just now got around to seeing it.  I've seen worse werewolf films so this wasn't bad just not as good as all the hype so maybe my expectations were a bit too high going in.  Still I recommend this one and I give it three bunches of wolf's-bane out of five.   
   

1 comment:

  1. Weird. I had heard about this for years, as well, and also watched it the other day. I liked it, was quite a unique take on the whole werewolf thing.

    ReplyDelete

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...