Saturday, October 30, 2021

The Outing 1987

 


So here's the thing, a couple weeks ago my good doodily doo, Cerpts, over here at The Land of Cerpts and Honey  on blogger did a review of this film.  At first my reaction was of disappointment in that he reviewed it before I could and here I had it in my queue of films to review for The Countdown to Halloween.  So I thought about taking it out and putting something else in it's place like Ernest Scared Stupid or something.  Then I decided not to take my ball and go home but to go ahead and do a review.  After all variety is the spice of life.  it also would allow me to see if Cerpts really knew what he was talking about in his review of The Outing

 

Or is it called The Lamp?  Some people call it The Lamp but I guess that's a little too on the nose because the movie is about a freakin' lamp after all.  But I digest.  The film is directed by Tom Daley and nothing else to tell you about him since this is all he has done.  Moving on.  Now let's look at all these stars and their bodies of work.  Oh crap, nothing.  Never heard of any of them and none of them have done much else.  Neither of these are good signs.  But let's see, this one might surprise me and I've never let any of these things stop me before.  OK, so the first thing I'll say is the opening prologue of the story is a little stiff and lifeless.  no pun intended. 

 


 

But it quickly transitions to out main story.  We have a fight in the locker room of a college or high school, I dunno which they all seem way too old to still be in high school but whatever.  We immediately see who we will be rooting for in the movie and who the douchey guys are.  Think sleeveless dress shirt with a tie.  Yep, douche, and we will be eagerly awaiting his as well as his friends death for.  I have to add here I love 80's slasher films and this one does scream 80's slasher so it has that in it's favor!  It also brings a nice twist on the slasher genre so I'm not mad at it.  OK, there was one thing I did get pissed off about and in the grand scheme of things this is a drop of water in the Pacific Ocean.  Still, I have to mention it, when we see the bunch of friends all having a midnight snack in the museum, the goddamn bag of ruffles potato chips are opened upside down.  I mean c'mon who does that in a movie let alone in real life?  Whoever is responsible I hope the evil genie gets 'em good because they deserve what they get.  So ya know what, I think Cerpts gave this three stars out of five and I have to agree with him.  Three sounds and feels about right.  Only it's not three stars out of five that I give it but rather three singing museum security guards out of five.  A nice surprise!       
 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. This year, I have learned there are so many movies I have never heard of. And the list seems endless.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...