Monday, October 18, 2021

Cathy’s Curse (1977)


I originally thought about typing all that out then I decided I didn't feel that energetic after I found this pic.  Anyway, what I wanted to say was next up on the Countdown to Halloween we have this film from Canada.  Not just any part of Canada either, but Montreal; the French part.  The film was written, directed, and produced by Eddy Matalon who up until this film had never done a film in English before.  All the stars of this movie I've never heard of before and all except for a few it seems this was their only film.

 

Randi Allen plays the little girl the movie is named after in her only film credit that I could find.  The main star here is Alan Scarfe who it seems is a pretty big player in the theater.  This was his second foray into films.  He plays George Gimble, Cathy's father and what would seem the only sane person in the film.  Cathy's mentally troubled mother is played by Beverly Murray and has the next most films to her credit but I can't say I'm familiar with her work.  Now she puts on a show here flip flopping back and forth from sane to unzipped several times in the film.  Roy Witham plays Paul who I'm not sure what his role was.  He's either their handyman or maybe the butler as the first picture sort of infers.  He's another one that is very off in this one but I enjoyed every moment of every scene he was in.  I like him he's silly!  There's also one scene where it is very apparent he has a drinking problem.  If you're familiar with the comedy film Airplane you can figure it out.  

 


      The story is about a little girl who is possessed by the evil spirit of her dead aunt who is also in this weird doll Cathy finds in the attic.  This is what you get when you take a little bit of The Exorcist, add in just a dash of The Omen, and sprinkle in some Carrie.  The only problem is it's kind of a hot mess and it's been called out for it most of it's existence until recently when it was decided this could be in the "so bad it's good" category.  I don't know if I go that far with it but it's not terrible.  There are some unintended funny scenes that help get through it.  Again I give credit to Tubi for a real nice copy of the film.  I can give this one two and half sets of glowing green eyes out of five.  

 

3 comments:

  1. Heard about this one before, but never got around to watching it. Tubi is a treasure trove of these smaller, almost-lost films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one sitting in my mountain of unwatched films I have to get to one day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about that Joe, Tubi has some stuff on there that I never expect them to have and then when I go searching sure enough they have it!

    Cerptsy ol' chum if the pandemic has shown me anything it is that every time I said "I would do that if I ever got the time", I was so full of crap!!

    ReplyDelete

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...