Monday, October 11, 2021

Spider Baby (1967)

 
The first thing I have to say about this film is: "How in the hell have I never seen this before?".  The second thing I'll say about it is: "Why hasn't Rob Zombie remade this yet?".  I say this because if there is a film that could use a remake this is it, and it would be right in his wheelhouse.  Parked somewhere between The Munster's and The Leatherface family from Texas Chainsaw is this house, the Merrye House. 
 
 
Man, what a crazy cast!  The family is led by good old Bruno the chauffeur played by Lon Chaney Jr., and Ralph the mute who gets to eat whatever he can catch,  played by Sig Haig who happens to have starred in several Rob Zombie directed films.  Jill Banner plays the title character whose real name is Virginia. Her sister, Elizabeth, is played by Beverly Washburn from Shane and Old Yeller.  The directer, Jack Hill, does a phenomenal job of catching a fine little slot to fit this offbeat horror film labeled a black comedy.  One of his better horror bids before he would move his talents on to black exploitation films which he did a hell of a job with as well.   
 
 

I have to say the best part of the film for me was Lon Chaney Jr.'s work here.  For one of the first times I actually got to see him act in a movie not locked behind some sort of monster makeup playing a bloodthirsty killer.  Here he is as Bruno doing his best to keep this family of psychotic misfits together.  He gives a tearful speech towards the end of the film that really breaks my heart and is absolutely perfect.  What a crazy ass film that feels years ahead of it's time.  Also I wanted to mention I saw this on Tubi and what a beautiful copy of the film they present! So thanks to them.  If you haven't seen this one I highly recommend it.  I'm gonna give this four boxes with a dismembered ear in it out of five.  



5 comments:

  1. The real question is: how could you be my friend and not have seen this before?!?!?!? I feel I let you down!!!

    Also, don't forget the great Mantan Moreland's cameo -- speaking of dismembered ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yes, Mantan, back when racial stereotypes were always funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie! Caught it years ago late night on TCM and fell in love. I rewatch it each year, a good night always. Zombie can keep his hands off it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read that Chaney was so eager to do this movie that he swore he'd stay off the bottle entirely during production - and he kept his word.

    (The Countdown to Halloween sent me here!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of the stories I heard about it as well. He was fantastic in this. And welcome Richard, thanks for reading and the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...