Saturday, October 16, 2021

Eaten Alive 1980

 


OK, here's what happened: I originally ordered the 1976 Tobe Hooper directed film titled Eaten Alive.  What I got was the 1980 film directed by Umberto Lenzi titled Eaten Alive!.  See what one exclamation point can do?  I've seen other Lenzi films: Spasmo from 1974 and the first cannibal movie he made in '72 titled Man From Deep River so I decided to keep it even if I didn't order it.

 


As is the case in most cannibal films; this one is hard to watch at times.  Unlike a lot of other cannibal films this one isn't done in a documentary/found footage style but rather it's a regular jungle expedition action film.  Lenzi attempts to cash in on the Jim Jones Jonestown cult real life events and dramatizes it.  With this genre of film you either watch them or you steer clear of them.  I watch them but feel a little dirty for awhile after.  This one is no different.

 

 

Not one of the better cannibal films in my opinion (not that I'm an expert on them or anything) however it does have one of the more original uses of The Battle Hymn of the Republic I have ever seen in a movie.  I'll give this one two and a half poisoned bowls of water out of five.  

          

1 comment:

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...