Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Halloween Tree 1993


 

Sometime around 1980 I read a book by Ray Bradbury titled The Halloween Tree.  I loved it but due to the fact that I was only about 10 years old give or take a year or two, I didn't fully appreciate it for what it was.  Flash forward to the early 90's and with the impending release of The Halloween Tree animated short movie I wanted to read it again to get reacquainted with the story.  It was like I had never read it before as I found more meaning in the story than the first time I had read it.  It's basically a history of Halloween and why we celebrate it.  Even more so it tells us why we celebrate it the way we do.  

 

In 1993 The Halloween Tree animated short film was released by Hannah Barbara productions and premiered on the ABC network.  While not one hundred percent faithful to the source material it is very close.  It features Ray Bradbury himself narrating the story and Leonard Nimoy voicing the role of Moundshroud.  The group of preteens' host or tour guide through the history of Halloween.  While the four friends learn about Halloween and the roots of it's customs, they are also fighting for the life of their fifth friend Pip.  Pip, who is not with them this year due to him needing his appendix removed, is also in danger of having his soul or spirit taken away from him by Moundshroud.  

 

 


Every child must learn the true meaning of their costumes before the end of Halloween or Pip's soul will belong to Moundshround.  The story is an informative one as it gives children the real roots of some of the customs observed on or around Halloween.  Ray Bradbury was very good friends with Walt Disney and in 2007,  Disneyland, in California, celebrated their first year with their very own Halloween Tree.  It has been used every year since to celebrate the fall season.  In this, the time of Covid, Disneyland did not install the Halloween Tree and as of now it doesn't look like it will be back this year.  The film is good but the book, as is usually the case, is much better but I am still able to give this three and a half sugar candy skulls out of five.     

2 comments:

  1. I love the book so much, but have yet to see this special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic book. And I quite liked the movie as well!

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...