Sunday, October 24, 2021

31 (2016)


 

From my experience people fall into one of two categories.  Either you are a Rob Zombie fan or you are not a Rob Zombie fan.  While I consider myself a fan I'm not the blindly defensive type of fan.  I know his versions of Halloween, for the most part, bit the weenie.  Didn't stop me from watching them and liking them though.  But then you have Lords of Salem and The Devil's Rejects which I absolutely love.  

 

 

here we have a different breed from the offbeat director.  Of course it features some of the usual suspects from the Zombie movie family.  Of course it stars his wife Sheri Moon Zombie, Richard Brake, who has also been in 3 From Hell and Halloween II. both from Zombie.  Meg Foster also in Lords of Salem but even more memorable is They Live that she costarred in with Roddy Piper.  Next is Jeff Daniel Phillips also from 3 From Hell and Halloween II.  Conspicuously absent this time is Zombie family mainstays Sid Haig and Bill Moseley but I won't dwell on that because of who is does have in it that I haven't mentioned.  Ladies and gentlemen we have, what I believe might be a comeback role for Mr. Freddy "Boom Boom" Washington himself Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs.  He's from Welcome Back Kotter, that's just in case there's someone reading this who isn't over 45-ish.  

 

 

Let me say that this is a shit storm of a movie where I wasn't really sure what the hell was going on at times.  It's not easy to tell who is who in parts due to the lighting, film angles, and editing or what exactly is going on.  Now this is an old formula for a horror film that really offers nothing new other than the normal amount of gore you expect from Zombie.  It does have a few intentional laugh out loud moments from the dialogue.  Just realized I didn't mention it also features the legendary Malcolm McDowell.  Also a Zombie veteran as he has been in the two Halloween films Zombie directed.  I know Rob Zombie isn't everyone's cup of tea, or is that arsenic in there?  Now I do frequently drink from the Rob Zombie well.  This falls somewhere right in the middle of his library of titles so I'll give this 3 powdered wigs out of 5.  

 

"You know the difference between an onion and a whore?  I cry when I cut an onion!" - Schizo-Head

 

 
   
 

6 comments:

  1. All I can say is I will watch his Munsters take with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen this one -- mainly because of the absolute awful reputation it has. But one day I'll probably watch it. It's funny because your feeling about Rob Zombie exactly echo mine. He seems kinda hit and miss. I absolutely hated his HALLOWEEN; it's actually one of the VERY few movies I turned off without watching to the end -- a practice I NEVER EVER do. And I absolutely LOVE his LORDS OF SALEM and THE DEVIL'S REJECTS; still can't decide which I love more. HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES I liked but you could definitely see an amateur director at work. I said at the time it would've been great with a REAL director at the helm. But Zombie learned a helluva lot in a very short time when he gave us THE DEVIL'S REJECTS and LORDS OF SALEM. I also haven't watched 3 FROM HELL yet; although it too is in my mountain of "to watch" blu rays. I know it too has a reputation of not being too good but I go into every film with an open mind. Rob Zombie haters just don't take into consideration the good work he's done. If he could be a little more consistent and not give us an excellent film followed by a crap one, I think it would go a long way toward eliminating the confusion about his output.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough Joe, I'm a little worried about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good overview of Rob Zombie. A side note: he owns (or at least did) a tattoo shop in MO. My kids got matching tattoos from there. Just a tidbit.

    Your Crypt Keeper, Michelle
    http://zombiecrossings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that. I would definitely be getting a tattoo there if I was closer. Thanks for the visit and the comment.

      Delete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...