Saturday, October 9, 2021

The Child (1977)

 
 The Child breaks one of my cardinal rules about two minutes into the film.  It kills a kitten!  Not just any kitten a little black and white Frodo kitty.  I call it that in honor of my cat Frodo (who looked a lot like the kitten killed here) who died a little over a year ago probably from Covid.  I dunno it could have been old age, he was 18 years old after all.  The film stars Laurel Barnett who has not appeared in much as this is the first time I have seen her.  So I guess you can call it love at first site because I fell in love with her about 15 minutes into the film.  Nice try film but you're not off the hook for the dead kitten.    


 
 My future second ex-wife is hired to be a nanny to a rather troubled young girl named Rosalie who recently lost her mother.  The girl has some supernatural powers and she likes to use them.  The film takes place in the 1930's despite the guy Len wearing clothes from the 1970's.  Hey, they didn't have much money to spend on the wardrobe department.  That of course would be because they spent it on the special effects department.  Specifically the smoke machine budget because when I tell you this film used the smoke machine, I mean they used them a lot!  If all we judged a movie on is it's scenery and cinematography this would be one of the best movies ever.  So much fog... 


 This film is known as a video nasty.  Which maybe it was back in the mid 1980's but by today's standards it's way more mild than you would expect.  It also features that way cool pumpkin carving you see just above.  As I said the atmosphere is really good, it is certainly a creepy feeling film from beginning to end.  I give it two dead nosy neighbors out of five.  Oh dear, that might be a spoiler.



3 comments:

  1. Truly an atmosphere movie with some good scenes that are a few minutes each but nothing to write home about. But I'll watch anything once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, that's in my mountain of dvds "to watch" and I feel much the same way about kitty or doggy deaths; kill as many humans as you want but . . .

    Wow, this was a video nasty??? I had forgotten that. Of course, a movie called THE CHILD and a couple movies called THE CHILDREN -- how'm I supposed to keep them straight?!!!! But yeah, now I'm forewarned not to get too attached to the kitten.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...