Sunday, October 31, 2021

Scream Blacula Scream 1973

This is a ridiculous suit but a great scene!
  

The tricks and treats are still flowing here at the Cheeks Debelly mansion as Halloween is still going strong.  Next up is a sequel to a film I did earlier in the month.  Scream Blacula Scream also stars William H. Marshall as the title character.  The film also stars Pam Grier, a mainstay of many blaxploitation films and features Richard Lawson in the first credited movie of his career.  The basis of the film is that as a Voodoo Priestess dies she appoints Lisa (Grier) as her successor.  This of course does not sit well with her son Willis (Lawson) who is her true heir.  

 

 
 
Willis gets the bones of Blacula (apparently there is a voodoo ebay that has this kind of stuff) and revives the vampire.  Of course the joke is on Willis as the newly alive again Prince Mamuwalde is not having any of Willis "You must do my bidding!" crap.  In fact it is Willis who is first turned into a vampire and then forced to do Blacula's bidding.  Before long Blacula has created his own army of blood thirsty vampires.  Murders start piling up in no time.   

 


 Also starring is Don Mitchell as an ex-cop that knows a lot about African heritage and Janee Michelle as Lisa's friend Gloria.  The director this time is Bob Kelijan of Count Yorga fame.  The film is as cool as the first one but I don't recall the original having as many lulls in it.  This one feels a little slower and at times it's nearly boring.  About half a star less than the original so I give this a strong two and a half voodoo dolls out of five.


 
   

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of this when I saw it. But who knows. Seems that, like anyone I suppose, I react differently to films at different times of life. Maybe I'd love it, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From experience I am that way. Sometimes for the better but sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...