Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Slumber Party Massacre 2021


 

I gotta say I'm a little embarrassed that I have never seen the original Slumber Party Massacre from 1982.  I mean I love most Roger Corman films and the original was produced by him.  I have nothing to compare this to but it won't stop me from giving a fair grade and review, in fact it might make it easier for me.  The new SPM is a Shout! Factory production and I would imagine that there will be many more Corman originals being remade as they have bought the rights to over 250 Corman films.  This one starts with a short prologue featuring a group of teen girls being killed by a power drill wielding maniac at a remote lake house.  The "final girl" sends the killer off a bridge/boat dock into the lake.  

 

 

Then we flash forward about thirty years.  We discover that a new group of teenage girls are planning a trip only to have their car break down near the same lake that the original took place.  There are a few twists and turns here, like for instance one of the girls Dana (Hannah Gonera) is the daughter of the original final girl from the beginning of the film.  The girls soon discover they are not the only ones at the lake.  The original murderer dubbed "The Driller Killer" (hey didn't I just review that one? actually there's no relation) is alive and well and is after this new group of young girls.

 


 

Directed by Danishka Esterhazy who also directed The Banana Splits movie which was only OK does a much better job here.  Comedian Rob Van Vuuren plays The Driller Killer in such an offbeat way that he almost doesn't seem threatening but he certainly is.  Mila Rayne, Alex McGregor, Frances Sholto-Douglas, and Reze-Tiana Wessels portray the rest of the girls.  I don't know if I'm still pissed about Halloween Kills being so bad or what but I gotta say this one was a fun time.  A nice tight run time of less than 90 minutes made for not a boring moment to be found here.  So here we go getting rid of that bad taste in our mouth as I give this one three and a half pillow fights out of 5.  I was pleasantly surprised!


    
    

3 comments:

  1. It was fun, I enjoyed it. Better than more recent streaming slashers by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't even know there was a remake!

    However, whatcha wasting yer time on the original OR the remake when SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE II exists?!?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But my question is do I have to see them in order?

      Delete

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

  On a snowy Fat Tuesday, the Horror Honey and I celebrated the 22nd anniversary of our first date by dragging our bodies out of the house a...