Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Slayer (1982)

 


So here I go again attempting to watch a film I know little about.  Only thing I can say I knew about it beforehand was it is another film on the somewhat long list of Video Nastys.  The film is also known as Nightmare Island which is actually a better name for it in my opinion due to it mostly taking place on a deserted island. 

 

I was very dubious about this low budget slasher as it stars nobody I had ever heard of before.  The writer/director I have heard of but not really blown away by his body of work after a little investigation.  Both of these might not mean anything but it did raise a few red flags.  So the general idea is two vacationing couples go stay on this island and are stranded when a hurricane hits.  That's when Kay's (Sarah Kendall) dreams begin coming true.  

 


So are they dreams or premonitions?  That's for you to decide.  There is definitely some creepy atmosphere happening here.  My biggest complaint is that this is one very uneven story.  There is a random killing early on and then one of the main characters meets their doom shortly thereafter.  Then: nothin'!  Until the final half hour that is where it feels most of the film happens.  There is one rather original kill with a roll of fishing line and a pretty gruesome one with a pitchfork.  So all in all it's not terrible even with almost an hour where very little happens.  Then there is a "WTF?" ending that could leave you scratching your head.  I'm torn with my score the first hour is two stars the last half hour is four stars or better.  OK, three black kittens out of five.                 

2 comments:

  1. It's been a few years since I saw this and my main memory is that is was kinda slow. Sounds like I remembered correctly. The film probably could've used a lotta help from a pair of scissors but I still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I knew of this, ever. I go in to a lot of these blind, too. Never know when one might be a real gem.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...