Sunday, October 17, 2021

Night of the Bloody Apes 1969


 

 It would seem that this is the year of the Video Nasty as here we are again lying smack dab right up against another one.  This time we have one that comes to us from Mexico.  So you know what that means:  Lucha Libre!  We got a monster, we got a crazed doctor, we got female wrestlers, and we have actual surgical scenes all in one place.  So yeah, not for the squeamish but then what Video Nasty really is?  

 

 

Originally titled The Horrible Man-Beast, this is actually a remake of The Wrestling Women vs. the Killer Doctor, both directed by Rene' Cardona.  A doctor's son is dying of leukemia and in order to save his life he steals a gorilla from the zoo and transplants it's heart into his son.  Well, what happens after is just about what you would expect would happen.  There is a good amount of gore, mostly from the surgical scenes, as most of the other bloody scenes actually looks like it might be ketchup.  

 


There's even an eye gouged out which might just be cake and fondant.  Also there's other things that happen that I wasn't impressed with due to the low budget effects.  Most of the scenery is the same.  There's a scene where a woman is being raped and the grass under her is moving around just as much as she is.  This one is not for the kiddies so be forewarned.  Wow, this was bad, I keep trying to find a redeeming quality or two and I really can't.  A Mexican wrestling movie (which doesn't really have that much in it) deserves so much better.  I'll sadly only muster up one tranquilizer dart out of five.              
  

4 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty horrible in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty bad in just about every way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I HATED this one when I first saw it. And I guess I wasn't far off the mark seeing your opinion all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No it's not even in the realm of "Maybe I'll give this a rewatch in about five years and see if it was as bad as I thought.", don't do it. You we right to hate this.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...