Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Christmas Corner With Denise

 
We all have one or two specific things we look forward to when the holiday season rolls around.  Missing one of them would be unheard of and unacceptable.  For Denise, How The Grinch Stole Christmas is one of those things.  Aside from the fact you have Dr. Seuss teaming up with horror icon Boris Karloff to narrate and you are off to a good start.  I myself have seen the 1966 animated classic more times than I can count but when it's on and Denise is watching it I find that I am watching her watch it more than I am looking at the TV. 
 
 
 
 
 
I almost forgot to add in Thurl Ravenscroft  appears in an uncredited roll to sing the now very famous theme. My fellow Disney addicts will recognize his voice from The Haunted Mansion ride.  But back to Denise watching the show; when she watches it she recites just about all of the lines word for word and has an undying love for Doctor Seuss. 
 

 
That's not a picture of Denise watching the show that's little Cindy Lou Who.  Denise explains to me that she loves the show because the Grinch is so miserable and mean and hates Christmas (which he says he has done for 53 years, so just how old is he and how old is considered old for a Who) because deep down he is jealous of the Who's having all types of things that he doesn't have.  




 
 
After the Grinch "takes Christmas away from the Whos" he makes his way back to his cave on Mount Crumpet and waits to hear the cries of sadness coming from Whoville.  The Grinch is surprised when even with Christmas not coming to town, the Whos still gathered in the town center and joined hands to sing Christmas  carols.  The Grinch then realizes that Christmas doesn't come from possessions but from within.  Suddenly, the Grinch does a one hundred and eighty degree turn.   
 
 


Upon realizing this fact the Grinch, with the strength of ten Grinches, plus two he saves Christmas and brings the sleigh back to Whoville and participates in the celebration of the holiday.  TV Guide ranks it as the best TV Holiday special of all time.  




 
Here's hoping that all of our hearts have the ability to grow three sizes this holiday season.  


4 comments:

  1. Denise has extremely good taste . . . at least in Christmas specials if not in men! AHHH!!!! Christmas burn!!!

    I too love HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS and can probably recite every line -- but I've sadly not watched it for several years now. I'll have to remedy that situation. Props for mentioning Thurl Ravenscroft - whom the general public will probably most remember for being the voice of Tony the Tiger -- but whom we real fans remember for all the things you mentioned and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prudos to you for mentioning the Tony the Tiger role that Thurl also served as. I combined Props and kudos to come up with a word for credit that sounds like it is referencing a bunch of women that don't put out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prudos to you for not using "kudos" - that word annoys me. But Prudos - - - this I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too can not get through a Christmas without watching The Grinch! I say the words right along and sing the songs! Best part is when Grinch realizes what Christmas is all about, although I do remember watching it as a kid, thinking I wouldn't mind having a few of those toys the kids played with!

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...