Friday, December 13, 2013

The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame Inductee #13

 
A yearly Christmas tradition that started over at my original blog, The Dharma and Greg Project, was that it wasn't officially the Christmas season until I heard The Pogues and Kirsty McColl sing Fairy Tale of New York.  It is one of the only features to have carried over to The Man Hole.  And, well, I guess it's now officially the holiday season. 
 

 
In Britain and Ireland this is considered to be one of if not the best Christmas songs of all time.  To me what better way to ring in the holidays than with a song about drug and alcohol abuse and a couple arguing about who crushed who's dreams first.  Originally released in 1987 the song marked it's 25th anniversary with a re-release celebration in 2012.  Sadly, Kirsty McColl died in 2000 while scuba diving off of the coast of Cozumel Mexico.  McColl pushed her 15 year old son out of the way of an oncoming speedboat.  McColl saved her son but in doing so she put herself directly in the path of the speedboat.  She was killed instantly.    My apologies for the awkward segue.  Happy Holidays.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...