Monday, December 2, 2013

The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame Inductee #2

 
 
Originally recorded in 1955 by the Trapp Family Singers (yes, the Sound of Music kids) the song was then called "Carol of the Drum".  Perhaps the best known version of the song was recorded by the Harry Simeone Chorale in 1958. 
 
 
 
In 1987 the album A Very Special Christmas was released with proceeds from sales supporting the special Olympics.  Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band recorded the song for the album and it remains one of the most powerful versions ever performed.  I love many and nearly every version of this song that I've heard.  Jimi Hendrix also recorded a version which I highly recommend you put on your holiday listening list if you have never heard it before.  While watching this video if you are of the same age category as I am, meaning anything over 35-ish, *ahem*, you may also be a little astonished and possible even a bit depressed by how old Bob Seger looks in this recent live recording. 
 
  

4 comments:

  1. 1987?!?!?!?! I wasn't even born yet!

    The Harry Simeone version will always be my personal favourite but Seger's is wonderful too. In fact, it's kinda hard to go wrong with such a classic and there are, as you said, scallions of terrific versions.

    Did I just use a word for a vegetable for a word meaning "a whole lotta"???

    Just checking . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think scallions is a numerical number is either right before or after bajillion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, bajillion is a clarified broth made out of beef stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for clarifying that. You're kind of like a broth cause you always got the BEEF in STOCK!! Yeah bayyyyybeeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...