Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame Inductee #7

 
As far back as I can remember Silver Bells by Jim Reeves was a big favorite in my family.  The song was first introduced to me when I could barely walk by my grandmother who passed away in 1983.  Never does a holiday season go by that I don't listen to the song and get choked up singing along.  This version is by Jim Reeves who was a country singer popular in the 50's and 60's.  Elvis Presley also does a very nice version of the song as well.  
 

 
Written in 1951, the song was originally titled Tinkle Bells until the wife of one of the writers told her husband that they could not possibly give the song that title so the name was changed to Silver Bells.  The song first appeared in the 1951 movie The Lemon Drop Kid.  The stars of the movie Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell performed the song.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Funny how you can know a guy for 88 years and just find out something new about him last Tuesday! I never had any idea how much you liked that song. Jim Reeves' version of SILVER BELLS is actually stunningly beautiful and I actually own his entire 1963 Christmas album "THE TWELVE SONGS OF CHRISTMAS" which is all great. Reeves' version of SILVER BELLS has now gone right up to my second favourite version of the song!!!! Of course, like you, I still have my number one favourite version from my youth but Reeves now takes his place right up there next to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the album we had growing up The Twelve Songs of Christmas and I loved the entire album but Silver Bells is my absolute favorite song on the album.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...