Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame Inductee #1

We here at The Man Hole wanted to mark this holiday season by posting our favorite Christmas songs of all time.  We will be posting one song a day for the entire month of December.  The songs will be in no particular order unless, of course, you count "random" as a particular order.  So the first inductee into The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame is:
 


In 1966 The Royal Guardsmen released a song titled Snoopy vs. The Red Baron the song was a hit and made it to number two on the Billboard charts.  This was the follow up song released in 1967.  This time the song did not do as well on the charts but it is still a popular song during the holidays.  The song is a reference to a period during WWI called The Christmas Truce when the German and British troops that were fighting decided to put a halt to the fighting.  In some areas it was only for Christmas Day, in other areas it was for the entire week between Christmas Day and New Years Day.  This is one of those songs I loved as a child and still listen to every holiday. 
 

3 comments:

  1. This song will always remind me of being a kid and staying at my grandparents' house in Pennsauken because I got THREE VERSIONS of it while there. I bought the original version 45 single at the Listening Booth at the Pennsauken Mart during one of many many trips there with my grandfather. And also, during a shopping trip with my grandmother to the Holiday supermarket (anybody remember THAT?!?!?), she bought me not one but TWO kiddie LP's entitled "SNOOPY'S CHRISTMAS": one on Peter Pan Records and the other . . . on Golden Records or some other kiddie label. What a haul! I still have them, of course.

    A few years ago on my DARK FOREST album blog I did a Christmas album a day but I can't remember if either of these albums made it on there. I'll have to go see. And maybe I'll even post the audio on me audio blog to start into the Christmas spirit thing???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were all three versions by The Royal Guardsmen? I don't remember Holiday supermarket. I remember shopping at the Shop N Bag in Marlton on route 73 where Produce Junction is now. I'm in need of a lot of Christmas spirit this year. Denise and I planned this back in October but I considered not doing it for obvious reasons but instead of not doing it I am hitting it harder than I had first intended. Hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, only the 45 was the original - the other LPs were both ostensibly by "The Peter Pan Singers" of Peter Pan records. You've probably already seen by now that I've posted both albums on my DARK FOREST blog. I've only ever seen one Holiday supermarket and that was the one in Pennsauken back in the 70s. I know what you mean about Christmas spirit - I'm struggling as well but not for the same reasons. We'll both have to egg (nog) the other on, fancy pants!!!

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...