Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame Inductee #21

 
Seeing as how today is Yule or the Winter Solstice for all you non-heathens, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to induct the following song.  The Christians and The Pagans was released in 1996 by folk singer-songwriter Dar Williams on her EP of the same name.   
 
 
 
This song, although about religious beliefs, is really about family.  It tries to show that no matter what the differences between people are we should not allow those difference to estrange us from one another.  Some nice sentiments in this one. 
 
   

1 comment:

  1. A slight clarification: while it may have appeared on an EP, the song was originally released on her second album MORTAL CITY in January 1996 which was nominated for multiple Penguin Awards including "Album of the Year" and several noms for "Song of the Year"; I'm not sure off the top of my head if "THE CHRISTIANS AND THE PAGANS" was one of the songs nominated but there's a good chance it was along with "AS COOL AS I AM" and "FEBRUARY". I remember this album with fondness (I suppose that's the word) because I listened to it a lot at the time because at that very moment the restaurant I was working at (PapaRazzi) closed down the day after Christmas and I was out of a job; for some reason this album was perfect listening for me at that time.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...