Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Man Hole Christmas Song Hall of Fame Inductee #3

 
Released in 1983 this song is technically not supposed to be nor was it intended to be a Christmas song.  So what better way to make certain this list is as screwed up as we are by putting a song on it that isn't supposed to be here.       
 

 
2000 Miles is not the distance between two lovers as some suspect from the song lyrics.  The song is actually a tribute for the groups guitarist James Honeyman-Scott who had died the year before the song was released.  It's a good song for anyone who may be missing someone this holiday season or anytime for that matter.  I liked this song since the first time I heard it and over the years I have fallen in love with it.  For us here at The Man Hole this song has an extra special meaning this year.  Tell all your loved ones you love them and hold them close as often as you can because someday they won't be there anymore.  In the words of another Christmas song, this one from the animated classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, "there's always tomorrow".  Until there isn't.

 
 
   
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Great sentiments! And a great song from a great album. No, it was never intended as a Christmas song but you always hear it at Christmas because it mentions Christmas. I listen to it all year round as well as at Christmas as it's totally appropriate as a Christmas song . . . and I even have it on a Christmas mix I made. I suspect there will be ANOTHER song on your Hall of Fame list by a certain Irish group which ALSO is appropriate for listening to all year round AS WELL as being a great Christmas song!

    However, another song they play every Christmas which is in fact NOT a Christmas song is Elton John's "Cold As Christmas (In the Middle of the Year)" as you well know! The song, being about a marriage breaking up, and a spouse who is "cold as Christmas" towards the other. Lyrics in the song say "the temperature's up to 95" and it takes place in July but they STILL insist on playing it at Christmas time! LOL Even in the song title parentheses it says "in the middle of the year"! Ha!

    And another song which I really hope is not going to show up on your list because a) I hate it and b) it's NOT a Christmas song even though it's played ad nauseum every Christmas is "My Favorite Things"!

    But "2000 Miles" is absolutely deserving to be considered a Christmas song and in your Hall of Fame! Now, "Lucrezia the Lovesick Leprechaun", however . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, ya know I have heard Cold as Christmas play this time of year but no the thought never occurred to me to consider the song as a Christmas song like some radio stations apparently do. I also hate the song you mention so it is definitely not one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...