Monday, October 9, 2023

Blood Dolls (1999)

 

 

I've said it before but I'll mention it again that the horror anthology is my favorite sub genre of horror films.  The horror comedy is maybe not my second favorite but it's gotta be close to the top.  Blood Dolls from Full Moon's Charlie Band is such a film.  In fact it's Charles Band doing what he does best: horror with puppets!  Blood Dolls is the story of Virgil, a rich guy who wears a great mask to hide his disfigurement.  He has made his Blood Dolls to help him get his revenge on those that have done him wrong.  The film features Kristopher Logan (who has been in other Charles Band films like Puppet Master 3 and Crash and Burn) as Virgil.  Also starring is Phil Fondacaro (Willow and Troll) as Hylas, Virgil's butler.  William Paul Burns plays Virgil's muscle, Mr. Mascaro, who likes to wear clown makeup.


 

Now Mr. Mascaro is an interesting character as he makes me think of the evil clown doll from Demonic Toys.  I wonder if Mr. Mascaro is an alternate reality version or the human equivalent of Jack Attack.  Jack Attack is the evil Jack in the Box in Demonic Toys.  A stretch I know but I'm always looking for connections to films especially from the same writer/director/producer Charlie Band.  Also in the castle, Virgil has an all female rock band known as The Caged Babies.  Virgil has them perform songs right there in the cage for his demented pleasure whenever he wants.  The music they play is one of the best parts of the film.  Not that the film is bad; the music is just that good.


 

The film comes complete with one of the funniest reveals I've seen when Virgil removes his mask to show his deformity.  I won't spoil it in case you someday seek it out but you can find pictures of it on the films IMDB page.  Seeing the reveal in the film is way better than just seeing the photo IMO.  Another interesting thing about this film is there are two endings for the film.  I'm guessing all versions of this film shows both endings and yes, I did like one ending version more than the other.  For the music, the reveal, Phil Fondacaro who we love here at The Man Hole, it is all enough to get this one three Evil Pimp Dolls out of five.      




No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...