Thursday, October 19, 2023

Grizzly II: Revenge (2020)

 

So along with the help of a little blogger magic I was able to fix an issue I had with watching Grizzly II: Revenge.  Complete transparency: I watched this before I watched the first one.  I did however post the reviews in order of how the films were released.  Now after reading this review you will see how dedicated I am to watching some of these movies in order to bring reviews here.  So seeing as how I had not seen the original what caused me to watch this when I was given the chance?  The answer is a little odd because although the film was not released until 2020 it was made in 1983.  I saw the film boasts that it stars George Clooney, Charlie Sheen, and Laura Dern.  Which it does.  For about fifteen minutes that is.  They are the first three, and I'm not ruining anything here, campers killed by Tawanda.


 

Who is Tawanda?, you might ask.  Tawanda is the mother of a cub that is killed by poachers who afterwards seeks her revenge on whoever she can find.  I want to break this down for a minute to let you in on what to expect from this one.  The film is a conglomerate of scenes of a concert that is being held outdoors in a festival setting, the main film that was shot in '83, and then some nature shots of animals in the forest or jungle or some guys back yard; I really don't know where filmed in 2020.  This makes for several awkward edits between old and new footage.  The three portions are added together and Grizzly 2 was finally born.  Now I'm sure you know that when a film sits finished on a shelf for over thirty five years without being released, there's just gotta be issues.  Right?



 

In the beginning I was really confused as to what the deal with the concert footage was until it is revealed that Tawanda's trail of terror is headed right for the concert.  OK, now it makes sense.  Doesn't make the film any better but at least I get it now.  This time Christopher George is nowhere to be found.  Instead we get Steve Inwood (Staying Alive) as Ranger Nick Hollister who is in charge of stopping Tawanda's rage.  When I first saw Inwood I start to think this was a werewolf film because the dude's hair, while being immaculate, also looks like he is half way through a change over to a werewolf.  Or maybe he's transformed halfway back into a human.  Hey, that's an interesting thought a half-were.  Also starring is John Rhys-Davies (Lord of the Rings and Raiders of the Lost Ark series of films) as Karl Bouchard a world famous grizzly expert from Canada.  Also starring is Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Exorcist 2: The Heretic) as Eileen Draygon The Superintendent of Summit whatever that is.  This one is bad bad, not bad good which can still be entertaining but this is not that type of film.  Unfortunately.  If there is anything positive to say about this one, aside from Inwood's hair, I would say the bear puppet is better in this than the original.  How's that for a backhanded compliment?  I can only give one and a half Danger: High Voltage signs out of five for this stinker.  

                  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...