Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Trouble Every Day (2001)

 

Trouble Every Day, directed by Claire Denis (High Life) is a cannibal romance story.  More romance and drama than a cannibal film but it's all in there.  Starring Vince Gallo (Buffalo '66 and Brown Bunny) and Tricia Vessey (Bean and Coming Soon) as a newly married couple on their honeymoon in Paris.  At least that's what June (Vessey) thinks.  In reality they are there so her husband Dr. Shane Brown (Gallo) can find a woman he was once obsessed with.  The woman is Core Semeneau played by Beatrice Dalle (Inside and ABCs of Death 2) the wife of a neurosurgeon turned general practitioner in France.  Core has a tendency to get out of the house her husband Dr. Leo Semeneau played by Alex Descas (Irma Vep and 35 Shots of Rum) desperately tries to keep her locked up in.  Turns out that when Core gets out she likes to find men and have sex with them.  When she does this she also likes to kill the men and eat a little bit of them.  All this leads her distraught husband with the task of getting rid of the bodies.

  


 

Aside from it being a cannibal themed film it's also an erotic horror and it is brutal!  Then we get a scene where Shane can't finish having sex with his wife so he jumps out of bed and finishes himself off in the bathroom and I know everyone will scream "ART-HOUSE" but I don't care.  I like my cannibal movies to have a little less cum in them.  I know what he's doing, I don't need visual proof that he has completed the act.  A saving grace is there is a super cute puppy but due to the subject matter of the story line I worry about that puppy's well being long after the credits roll.

 


 

Which they do at an awkward moment which leaves the film feeling unfinished to me but instead of wanting to know what happens I felt like I didn't even want to know as much of the story as I already did.  Vincent Gallo is an odd duck to me and while this is the only thing I've seen him in (actually he was in Goodfellas for about three minutes) but I know some of his films have received criticism both good and bad.  Honestly he looks a little alien like to me which isn't necessarily a bad thing but he just unnerves me whenever I see him.  I can't really put my finger on it.  So the deal is, and this is all on me so your mileage may vary with this one but I don't like France and I'm not a big fan of Gallo.  I'm also not a fan of this film that for me felt like it took forever to tell and then after it was over I was left wondering what was the point of the whole thing.  There is one shining part of the film that I did like and that was the music in the film that was done by Tindersticks.  Thanks to Tindersticks I am able to give this one two bite marks out of five.  Without their music it would be rate around 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romancing the Stone (1984)

  I vaguely remember seeing this shortly after it came out and I have to assume it was one I went and saw with my then girlfriend "Ann...